Wednesday, March 3, 2010

AI, books, etc.



So lately I've been avoiding blog posts because I still have not figured out how to get our internet hooked up to the computer where I download my photos, and I feel like people don't care about blog posts unless you have cool pictures. Especially of kids. Anyway, still working on the photo thing, but in the meantime, there are a few things I wanted to share. Oh and enjoy the generic book art I saved off the internet. :)

First off: American Idol. It's still early, so I'm not gonna say a lot yet, but I will say this. Back-up singers are the kiss of death. The instant I hear/see back-up singers on American Idol I will almost certainly hate the performance, like 99% of the time. They bug big time. And I have zero favs so far. Seriously, no one is calling out to me yet. Well, maybe Siobhan Magnus (just watched her performance, and it had back-up singers...but I did kind of like it! Ah, like I said, 99% of the time.) P.S. Not all back-up singers are bad, not to disrespect the title; after all, I throroughly enjoyed my days as a back-up singer myself in a 70's disco band in high school...

Second off: Books. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I so love "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. If you haven't read it yet, go buy a copy and read it. It's a great one to have in your library, one you can pick up and read in a night and reread every year or so. It's excellent for introspection and perspective. I'm currently reading the readers' digest version of "Cry, the Beloved Country" and am really hooked. It is intense. It is somewhat shameful I haven't read it yet in my life, but I am so appreciative of all I am learning about South Africa - the racial/class conflicts, the people who wrestle with the solutions to these and other social problems, and how the author so beautifully explores this in all layers of the storyline. Read it.

Also, I am loving my sewing maching. I would not say I am talented in sewing, but I am excited for it to be something I can enjoy and get better at as a lifelong hobby. It's fun!

6 comments:

Bombshell Char said...

Kind of buried in reading lately myself. Love Cry the Beloved Country, but haven't read The Great Divorce. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to add that to my (rather lengthy) list!

And don't worry, you can be a completely valid blogger even without photos. Really.

Mandi Roth said...

I so agree about American Idol!! I've missed a lot of it with moving, but i still agree with you.

I post without pics all the time. But it's still fun to have pics. Never heard or read either of those books. Good luck with the sewing. i can't wait to see what you make..

Tana said...

I don't read a whole lot mostly because I don't know what to read. So, thanks for the recommendations. I trust your opinion and I've already got those two books on hold at the library. I can't wait to read them.

Kelli said...

Liz, have you ever read "A Lantern in Her Hand"? I just finished re-reading it. I love it. If you ever read it, you'll have to let me know so we can talk about it.

Larsen Mom said...

Pics are nice but it doesn't always work out we understand. I tried to read C.S. Lewis once and just couldn't get into it. I'll have to try again. Right now I'm reading The Undaunted. Very good book.

Jared & Larisa said...

1. Sorry, I don't follow American Idol.
2. I'm going to pick up my copy of the Great Divorce! Sounds great. You HAVE to read The Help.
3. I love that you enjoy your sewing machine and that we benefit from it - the blanket you made for Connor is so so so so cute!! Love you tons :)