Thursday, December 18, 2008

Princess-in-training



There was a time, a brief period of time, after Sydney was born where I judged people who had their little girls running around thinking they were little princesses. I mean, who were these people? Brainwashing their children, letting them believe that their little girls were more special and beautiful and priviledged than everyone else; didn't they see that they were raising their girls to be total snobs?! Ridiculous and irresponsible were some of the nicer things I thought about these kinds of people.

Like I said, this was for a brief period of time. At around 18 months old, hardly coincidental with her first viewing of "Cinderella" (which was not in our home), Sydney fell deseperately in love with princesses. Consequently, I did a lot of rethinking and repenting of my judgemental opinions regarding little girls and princesses. I could go into a lot of detail, but nobody likes reading that kind of stuff on blog posts. So if you're interested, we can chat about it sometime.

For now, let's just say our little Holly has also been bit by the princess bug (she is 22 months old) - almost overnight it seems - and just as of the past few days she has blissfully entered the brave new world of princesses. She is loving it - the tiaras, the dresses, the shoes, everything. She spends a lot of the day dancing around in little circles, holding her own hand and singing, "I know you..." from Sleeping Beauty. This phase lasted quite awhile for Sydney, but it was a happy phase for her, so I can only sigh and hope that Holly enjoys it as thoroughly as her older sister has.

6 comments:

Schagel Family said...

She is getting so big! That is way cute. I love little girls who dress like princess. Maybe because I don't have any.
Oh, by the way, did you get my e-mail? I still need your address. Thank you.

Jared & Larisa said...

Ah, princesses ... that's a world I have yet to encounter. In the mean time, I love seeing your girls enjoying it. They're the cutest!! And I take back my statement from the previous blog: you and mom went to the Nutcracker, you just made a point to go without me. Just kidding :) Love you!

Mandi Roth said...

Very sweet!! My niece loves the princesses also. She is 2 1/2, but loves them. Your little holly is the cutest Princess ever.. Love it.

Kaitlin Heckert said...

I never left this phase. You're right, it's just too blissful!

Em and Jorg said...

HAhaha...I love it! She is adorable! When Rebecca was tiny, we were calling her "princess". Then I stopped that, because I thought she would get "spoiled" and think she was boss or something. But the first time I saw her loving the movice Cinderella, my heart melted. Because I loved princesses too. Then I realized it was okay...it's all good. Horray for our princesses!

Brig said...

J and Spence are just like that too. Oh wait...not so much.