Friday, December 5, 2008

Where Does Ink Come From?

Today we're driving in the car - yes, it does seem like Sydney's most in-depth thinking happens in the car - and for some reason Sydney asks me:

"Mom, where does ink come from?"
Long pause. "That's an excellent question, I really don't know." (For all those of you out there who know the answer to this question, good for you! You are much smarter than I am.)
"I have an idea about where ink comes from. I think you find some dead bees, then hold them and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze their heads and then ink drips out of their little black stingers. You squeeze it into a pail and then mix it around and you get ink!"

I couldn't help myself, I laughed so hard. I was genuinely amazed and amused. I told her that was such a creative thing to think. But honestly! That is so funny. Actually, reading it now does sound a little gross, but it was innocent and clever at the time.

3 comments:

Mandi Roth said...

that's cute!! i love it. and a little gross.

Larsen Mom said...

Your pictures are gorgeous.
Happy Birthday.

Brig said...

Charcoal and gum arabic were used for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

But I like the sound of squished bees better...