Saturday, November 8, 2008

"And the Greatest of These is Love"

My last living grandparent, Grandma McKinlay, passed away earlier this afternoon. We knew this was coming, and we are all generally at peace that she is now relieved and in a better, more restful and comfortable place. She was a beautiful, kind person with an energetic personality - but what I think we all know and love her for the most is her capacity to love. She had so much love for her family and others. With all this in mind, I have to share this quote from President Hinckley's BYU address, given on Valentine's Day of 1978:

"[Love] is the security for which children weep, the meat and drink of youth, the adhesive that binds marriage and the lubricant that prevents devastating friction in the home; it is the peace of old age, the sunlight of hope shining through death. How impoverished are those who lack it, and how rich those who have it!"

Perfectly said.

7 comments:

Em and Jorg said...

Yes, we have been Rich in Grandma's love! I enjoyed that quote a lot. Thank you, Lizzy :) If you can make it, I'll see you at the funeral. Hugs and Loves xoxoxox

Jared and Niki said...

I was jumping online to wish you a happy birthday. I am so sorry to hear about your grandma! Hope you guys are doing well.

Emily said...

I love that Grandma McKinlay and I only got to know her for a very short while. That quote on love is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for you lose. I hope your doing alright. I know you said you were at peace. I am thinking of you and your family.

Jared & Larisa said...

I love Grandma McKinlay! See you this weekend!!!!!

Doug and Betty Jo McKinlay said...

Absolutely. Well said. Love, Mom

The Sorensens said...

I just stole your quote for my blog heading. Such a good one. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma!
Miss you guys!