Sunday, November 2, 2008

First Testimony



Today being the first Sunday of the month was Fast and Testimony Meeting, and as people were getting up one by one to share their testimonies I began wondering when it would occur to Sydney that she could do it if she wanted to, and then whether or not she'd want to, etc. About 5 minutes after that thought crossed my mind she asked me, "Mom, when will I be big enough to go up there?" I answered, "Probably when you're able to do it without me or Dad going up there with you." So she promptly answered, "I can do that right now!" We talked about how a testimony should be short, how to close what she said (in the name of Jesus Christ, amen), and what she'd say. She said, "I'll just say what's good to say. I can go right after this guy" Gulp. So I crossed my fingers and up she went. She walked quickly to the front and without any sign of anxiety said (something like) the following:

"I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus love me. I know it's important to go to church. I know that parents are important. I know that family is important. I love my family. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

And with a big smile she hurried back to our pew. I was pretty proud of that kid. She did a better job than most adults I know, myself included!

7 comments:

Jeri said...

She was so awesome! We were very impressed. Way to go Sydney.

Anonymous said...

that's awesome. What a great feeling to have them give there testimonies.

Ammon and Brooke said...

It was amazing! I think everyone in the whole room had a little tear in their eye. She's such a smart, cute, funny little girl. I loved every second of her testimony!

The Sorensens said...

You are kidding me!!! WOW! What a sweet little testimony and way to let her go for it.

Jared and Niki said...

I wish I could have been there to hear it. She is honestly my favorite little girl, and I'm not just saying that!

Julina said...

She's so big! And I don't think it was a coincidence that the thought came to you just before she asked.

Doug and Betty Jo McKinlay said...

Isn't she the prettiest little girl? And the smartest, and the sweetest and the cutest? Yes - from her loving, very proud Grammie!