On Friday, the girls and I drove to the Arboretum to meet a good friend for a walk. We have met Melissa, baby Eden and puppy Saul many times to go for walks there, and we love the spot - great scenery, paved walking trail, just the right amount of hills. Just as we pulled up, it began sprinkling and so Melissa asked me if maybe we should bag it and try another time. I said we should wait it out. In the back of my mind I was thinking how just days earlier the weatherman was saying that we wouldn't have any rain for a week, although we needed it. So we wait a few minutes and then venture out. We walked along, no problems, until about 2/3 of the way through our walk. It began raining rather steadily, so we ducked under a large tree for shade. (And no, there was no thunder or lightning.) After about 10 minutes, we were getting soaked just standing there, and there was no sign of the rain letting up, so we made a run for it. By this time, Holly was crying, Eden was cryinig, even puppy Saul was crying, and we were all totally dripping wet. There was nothing for us to do but run through the sheets of rain, my feet sloshing and squishing in my flooded shoes. Luckily for the girls and me, Melissa had some clean sheets in her trunk she was planning on donating to Goodwill, so I "dried off" the girls as best I could and I drove us home, sitting in an inch of rainwater, drenched from head to foot. After I got home and we dried off, my mother-in-law informed me that the remnants of hurricane Gustav had just blown through Lexington, apparently the storm that we had just experienced. Moral of the story: check the weather before you go on walks with your children! And that is why I am adding weather.com to my list of favorite sites list...
6 years ago
3 comments:
That stinks. Good thing you made it back safe. I bet that was a fun experience, huh? Glad your all safe.
That probably wasn't the most amazing experince... but now you have a great story to tell!
sorry about the rain. Better luck next time. Going on walks with friends sounds like a lot of fun.
Post a Comment