Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Recent quirks

Sydney: Obsessed with chopsticks. Yes, chopsticks. What's the deal with chopsticks? I don't know. But she has wanted to play with them, clean with them, and eat with them (after I washed them thoroughly) all day. And I have to say, I am impressed with how deftly she was maneuvering those babies by dinner time. And speaking of things Chinese...

Nate: The master of "make it better". Whenever the kids get an owie, they ask him to "make it better" not "kiss it better". He does the dramatic hand slap/vigorous rub that Mr. Miyagi does in the first Karate Kid movie - anyway, the melodrama helps heal their hurt better than anything. It's awesome.

Holly: Created the language of "no" today. In all fairness to her, she's had a nasty little cold the past few days, and she has not been napping well, so she's not in the best mood. But finally by dinner tonight, after she'd said nothing but "no" since she woke up from her nap, I decided she only speaks "no" these days. So we had some fun with that, "speaking" to her in her language, using only the word no, but with all the regular inflection of speaking English. P.S. Should I be concerned if she is eating horribly lately? I need to google toddlers and picky eating.

Liz: Totally overwhelmed with selling the house. I'll take pictures this weekend, the house officially hits the market Monday the 16th. I'll be the first to admit that I am not the most fanatical about home maintenance, but all this work to get the house "market-ready" has made me a little self-conscious of my housekeeping standards!

8 comments:

Denisha said...

That is so cute about the chopsticks. Sydney must be very talented if she has mastered that. We keep chopsticks in our silverware drawer. Whenever I am making something that needs stirring and Bentley is helping, I give her chopsticks to use so it doesn't splash everything out of the bowl. They are great.

Kacy said...

I am a little afraid of the "no stage". Hailey will say no to me if I say it to her. We really miss Sydney and Holly. I'm excited for May to see you all!

Katrina said...

Using chopsticks...how cute! I was never able to master those things! At about 18 months Zackary became a picky eater too. It is so aggravating! It's very frustrating when he'll eat one thing one day and then not like it the next day. I just keep putting everything on his plate hoping that one day he'll start eating it. I'm also reassured when my pediatrician tells me it's perfectly normal for kids to "become" picky and only eat one good meal a day and maybe snack the rest of the time. Also Zackary doesn't look like he's starving :)

Jared & Larisa said...

Nice quirks! Good luck getting everything finished for your house and putting it on the market ... can't say I envy that. Love and miss you!!

Kelli said...

Liz, I love your blog :). I can't imagine getting a house ready to sell with 2 little kids. Good luck with that! Clara is getting really picky too. She hardly eats anything yet she is chubby. Go figure.

Larsen Mom said...

I think it's normal for kids not to eat well when they are sick. My Amelia
(she's 4 1/2) has always been a picky eater but this last week she's been sick and I think most of her food has ended in the garbage. I swear the only way she's growing is up!

Jeri said...

Liz,I had to laugh at the Mr Miyagi hand-rub. Osias does that with our girls! The funny thing is that Samamtha just gets so mad when he does it. "Dad!!!!!!" So funny!

Good luck with the house!

Doug and Betty Jo McKinlay said...

Cool, Nate! What a great remedy to make things better! Love the chopstick and the no stories. Thanks for sharing these special times with us. Love you, Mom