


This icicle came from the roof of our house and was a mere fraction the size of most of the other icicles that hung there. No apologies, but just to give you a heads up, this is a long entry. However, by reading on you will learn how such dangerous implements came to exist on our happy home.
The awful weather here in Kentucky lately has been my fault, and here's why. I can't pinpoint exactly when, but recently I was saying to myself or someone (who knows) how pathetic the winters are here - it's just freezing for the sake of being freezing, but with nothing to show for it. No awesome snow drifts, nothing. Just bitterly cold temperatures. Here's where Murphy's Law kicks in.
Last Sunday night, as in 10 days ago, we had some mild snow accumulation through the night, and schools were cancelled Monday. Tuesday during the night, we got snow, then ice, then snow. The next day, Tuesday, it was horrible outside. Very icy. And things proceeded to get worse. We got even more ice, then more snow, and pretty much the entire state of Kentucky threw their collective hands up in the air and gave up, shutting down almost everything through Friday. Even Saturday and Sunday businesses and church services were closed and cancelled.
Yesterday, I was a little weirded out that there were still several counties canceling school and without power and running water - I mean, come on, we are not living in the dark ages, are we? Yes, there was an ice storm; but seriously, can the entire Kentucky National Guard and Governer Beshear's snow boots not get things back to normal within a week+?
So here we are, 10 days later, and I am still confined to my house. I have felt very home-bound but luckily not too crazy; actually, I have felt grateful that we have a warm, comfortable place to be that has running water and electricity.
This morning, while I was working out at the gym, I saw the weatherman say something about there being a possibility for "some snow" today and I blew it off. I mean, nothing major ever happens here, right? Right. So I planned out a productive morning of doing some much-needed (and postponed) running of errands, etc. while Sydney would be at preschool.
It snowed - hard - from the moment she left until the moment Nate brought her home early, since Fayette county schools were being sent home early. It snowed all day and was bitingly cold, so much so that once again, I put all plans of grocery shopping, library trips, etc. etc. on hold yet again to spend yet another day inside the house. And by the end of the day, I was in a pretty foul mood.
By the way, all this has thrown a major wrench into our plans for putting our house on the market, which date has been postponed until the weather calms down enough so that there is no nasty ice/wetness in our garage so we can start storing our stuff in there. In the meantime, we are accumulating boxes and bags full of stuff inside of our house like every imaginable surface is accumulating ice and snow outside. I am going crazy!!!!
Powers that be, please be apprised: I officially revoke any judgements and comments about the lame nature of Kentucky winters. I'm sorry! I was wrong! Now please, give us some warmer temperatures...
6 years ago
5 comments:
Heh - heh- ol' Murphy will get you every time! So, do you remember the same type of weather in West Simsbury without power??? Yes, be grateful you have heat and electricity with your kiddies! That's one thing I DON'T miss @ the East. Hang in there, it will thaw and with that thaw will bring lots of buyers! I'm glad you're warm and safe. The girls are just SO cute - wish I could give them a hug! Love you, Mom
Wow, that does not sound fun. I am such a wimp I can hardly handle Utah winters. It sounds like this is much worse! I will be thinking "warm" thoughts for you guys. Also the picture of the girls licking the icicle was so cute!!!
Well, You should ask the Native Kentuckians about the weather here. Every 5 years are so, this is what we get. Nasty, nasty, nasty weather...then a break. WE all kind of forget how horrible it was and then Heavenly Father reminds us again.
Speaking about the schools closed, my kids have been out for the full two weeks. I like in the hills of North Eastern Kentucky. Everyone lives on top of a hill with a cliff on both sides. Last count, there were 8 of 15 bus routes that were impassable in Nicholas County.
So, I am so happy that it will be 50 degrees and raining for the next three days. That will get rid of the snow and ice that is left and life can get back to normal....until the floods come. That is what happens when the snow melts...SIGH!
At least you will always remember your last winter in Kentucky.
Hey, I might have missed it but where are you moving to? Back to Vegas? Utah!
The boys would've been so jealous of that "sword/icicle" your girls got lick!
Post a Comment