Tonight, both of my daughters licked their plates clean, Sydney asked for thirds, and my husband enjoyed his dinner so gleefully that I sat there asking myself how had I not realized this secret sooner than tonight??? You may be wondering what amazingly savory meal I prepared, and it was nothing special, just teriyaki oven-baked chicken (with baked yukon golds and asparagas). I'll let you all in on my new-found secret: THIGH MEAT!
Nate has suggested, some could have interpreted it more as wistfully/hopefully wishing aloud, that instead of using breast meat I'd use thigh meat when I make chicken dishes. He tells me that chicken breast gets "powdery" and although I wouldn't describe it exactly that way, I know what he's talking about. I've tried every imaginable way of cooking it, adding and leaving out various ingredients, yet he is never fully satisfied.
At the grocery store the other day I notcied some boneless chicken thighs, and I thought what the heck, let's give this a go. So I try this simple recipe, the same recipe I've used before with chicken breasts, and as I said, Sydney begged for thirds and Holly inhaled her portion (she almost never eats meat of any kind, won't touch it with a 10-foot pole).
I know, I know, thight meat has a higher fat content, but I think I'll worry about that some other time. For right now, I think I've stumbled across a good thing, and I'll cut corners in lowering our fat content in some other way.
Breasts or Thighs? What's your preference? Frankly, I still sort of prefer breasts, but not nearly enough to screw a good thing like this up!
P.S. I'll have to share Sydney's "chicken bone" story in another post sometime. This one has gone on long enough. :)
6 years ago
5 comments:
The people in my house are all about dark meant ... thighs especially. It is a hard transition but I have slowly adjusted. I usually through a breast in for me and make the thighs for them. Everyone is happy.
I enjoy the breast.. Not so sure about a thigh.. Maybe i'll have to try it.
What a great idea! Thighs! You'll have to share your recipe. I kind of know what you mean by chalky..it's not chalky, but the texture can be similar after a few bites.
I'm so glad you commmented on my blog so I can see yours!!! You guys are such a cute family. I'm sad you're leaving in May but excited for you guys too. I'm also excited about your blog because you're a good cook and maybe I can get some good ideas (I make your pizza all the time!).
I gotta try that! jared doesn't like just chicken breasts. you are such a good cook, i need to take lessons from you!
Post a Comment