Friday, October 10, 2008

Teriyaki Recipe/Chicken Bone Chicken

Part One: This is the "recipe" (if you can call it that) I used for that thigh meat the other night. I'm sure you've all used this a million times, but for those who haven't, this is a great stand-by:

equal parts of teriyaki marinade and sprite (I use diet sprite sometimes)
quarter to half part: oil (olive, vegetable, whatever is around)

Honestly I never measure, and you could probably get by with less or no oil if you want.

This is fantastic for grilled chicken, but I also use this for chicken in the crock pot, in the oven, or in a pan. Versatility, baby.

Part Two: Sydney's chicken bone story. This begins with a confession: I do not love KFC. Like most Americans, I have of course had it, mostly at family reunions, but never of my own free will and choice have I pulled up to a KFC and ordered a bucket of crispy chicken. I just feel too guilty and besides, there are plenty of other more tempting ways for me to consume calories. Anyway - so this summer we were at a family reunion (of course) and Sydney tried KFC for the first time and loved it (what's not to love?). At a recent ward potluck, she told noticed some baked chicken that looked a lot like the KFC she'd rendezvoused with over the summer and excitedly told me, "Mom!! Mom!! They have chicken bone chicken! I want some chicken bone chicken!" What? It took me a minute to get it. Ahhh, light bulb. She kills me.

3 comments:

Brig said...

J always calls KFC "chicken on the bone."

Mom or Dad, while driving: "We've only got a few minutes before [insert activity], where would you like to stop for dinner?"

J or Spence, while passing a KFC: "Ooh! Let's go to chicken-on-the-bone!"

I love that term.

familyof4 said...

I have a confession to make. I ate KFC yesterday and I LOVED it..and so did the girls. =)

And your question about the bird sanctuary it's waaayyyy across town, (going towards Mt. Charleston) so it's not the same place. The nasty zoo just need to shut down. Gross!

Em and Jorg said...

Cute,lovable Sydney! Thanks for the recipe. I never knew the secret ingredient was sprite. I'll try it!